Food for Good Clothes
Mr Smith goes to a dinner party. He is wearing old clothes. He comes into the room, but people in the room don’t look at him. They don’t ask him to sit at the table.
Mr Smith goes home and puts on his good clothes. He goes back to the party. Everyone in the room stands up and smiles at him. They give him very good food to eat.
Mr Smith takes off his coat, and puts it among the food and says, “Eat, coat! ”
The other people asked: “What are you doing?”
He answers: “I’m asking my coat to eat food. When I am wearing my old clothes, you don’t look at me. You don’t ask me to sit down. Now I’m in these clothes, and you give me very good food. Now I see, you give the food for my clothes not for me.”
他回答说：“我在请我的衣服吃东西。当我穿旧衣服时，你们都不看我，也没有请我坐下。 现在我穿上了这些衣服，你们就给了我精美的食物。我明白了，你们是把食物给我的衣服吃而不是我。 ”
dinner part 晚宴
put on 穿上
take off 脱下
1. At first, why people in the room don’t ask Mr Smith to sit down?
2. What does Mr Smith do when he gets good food?
3. Why does Mr Smith give food to his clothes?
4. What does the story tell us?
1. Because he is wearing old clothes.
2. He takes off his coat and gives the food to it.
3. Because he thinks that they only give food to his good clothes.
4. It tells us not to look at a man by his clothes.