1. To our surprise the stranger _____ to be an old friend of my mother’s.
A. turned out B. turned up
C. set out D. set up
2. All the girls swam in the lake except two, who _____ halfway.
A. gave off B. gave up
C. gave away D. gave out
3. If the new arrangement doesn’t _____, we’ll go back to the old one.
A. work over B. work out
C. work up D. work in
4. “Have great changes taken place in your village?” “Yes, A new school was ______ in the village last year.”
A. held up B. set up
C. sent up D. brought up
5. I had to ______ because someone else wanted to use the phone.
A. give up B. put up
C. hang up D. ring up
6. Elephants would ______ if men were allowed to shoot as many as they wished.
A. die down B. die out
C. die away D. die off
7. My study of biology has ___C___ much of my spare time, but it has given me a great deal of enjoyment.
A. taken off B. taken down
C. taken up D. taken away
8. The plan ___ just because people were unwilling to co-operate(合作).
A. broke down B. pulled down
C. turned down D. put down
9. The government has _______ the parents to work with teachers in the education of their children.
A. asked for B. called for
C. looked for D. paid for
10. John has put on so much weight recently that his mother has to ______ all his trousers to his measure.
A. let out B. give away
C. bring in D. make up
11. I can ______ some noise while I’m studying, but I can’t stand very loud noise.
A. put up with B. get rid of
C. have effect on D. keep away from
12. The mother often tells her son to be a good boy, warning him to ______ trouble.
A. hold back from B. keep out of
C. break away from D. get rid of
13. To my surprise, the manager ______ 30 dollars from my salary without any good reason.
A. cut off B. held up
C. brought down D. kept back
14. Steven has a lot of work to _______ in the office since he has been away for quite a few days.
A. take up B. make up
C. work out D. carry out
15. Although Jane agrees with me on most points, there was one on which she was unwilling to _______.
A. give out B. give in
C. give away D. give off
16. You should ______ what your parents expect of you.
A. live up to B. stand up to
C. look up to D. run up to
17. I can hardly believe my eyes. What a poor composition you have _______. There are so many wrong spellings in it.
A. turned into B. turned off
C. turned to D. turned in
18. “Why don’t we go for a picnic this weekend?” “Good idea! I would ______ the car and you’ll prepare the food.”
A. look after B. take care of
C. see about D get down to
19. How I wish that I could ______ my ideas in simple and wonderful English when chatting on the net.
A. set out B. set off
C. set over D. set up
20. Some kinds of animals can _______ the colour of their surroundings.
A. take on B. dress up
C. put on D. get into