1. He looked around and caught a man ______ his hand into the pocket of a passenger.
A. put B. to be putting
C. to put D. putting
2. When you’re learning to drive, _______ a good teacher makes a big difference.
A. have B. having
C. and have D. and having
3. I felt it a great honour ______ to speak to you.
A. to ask B. asking
C. to be asked D. having asked
4. I would love _______ to the party last night but I had to work extra hours to finish a report.
A. to go B. to have gone
C. going D. having gone
5. Before you decide to leave your job, _______ the effect it will have on your family.
A. consider B. considering
C. to consider D. considered
6. Robert is said _______ abroad, but I don’t know what country he studied in.
A. to have studied B. to study
C. to be studying D. to have been studying
7. It is said that in Australia there is more land than the government knows _______.
A. it what to do with B. what to do it with
C. what to do with it D. to do what with it
8. Anyone _______ bags, boxes, or whatever, was stopped by the police.
A. seen carry B. seen carrying
C. saw to carry D. saw carrying
9. Mr Reed made up his mind to devote all he had to _______ some schools for poor children.
A. set up B. setting up
C. have set up D. having set up
10. The discovery of new evidence led to _______.
A. the thief having caught B. catch the thief
C. the thief being caught D. the thief to be caught
11. She looks forward every spring to _______ the flower-lined garden.
A. visit B. paying a visit
C. walk in D. walking in
12. To test eggs, _______ them in a bowl of water: if they float they’re bad, if they sink they’re good.
A. put B. putting
C. to put D. to be putting
13. “Where is David?” “He is upstairs ______ ready to go out.”
A. to get B. getting
C. to be getting D. having got
14. “Mum, why do you always make me eat an egg every day?” “________ enough protein and nutrition as you are growing up.”
A. Get B. Getting
C. To get D. to be getting
15. He was reading his book, completely _______ to the world.
A. lost B. losing
C. to lose D. to have lost