1. “I still haven’t thanked Aunt Lucy for her present.” “It’s time you _____.”
A. do B. did
C. had D. would
2. If I hadn’t been lucky enough to meet you. I really _____ what I would have done.
A. don’t know B. hadn’t known
C. wasn’t knowing D. wouldn’t know
3. “I’ve told everyone about it.” “Oh, I’d rather you _____.”
A. don’t B. hadn’t
C. couldn’t D. wouldn’t
4. It has been raining for a day, but even though it hadn’t rained, we _____ there by tomorrow.
A. can’t get B. won’t get
C. hadn’t got D. wouldn’t get
5. “Do you know his address?” “No, I also wish I _____ where he _____.”
A. knew, live B. knew, lives
C. know, lives D. know, lived
6. “Isn’t it about time you _____ to do morning exercises?” “Yes, it is. Would you like to join us?”
A. begin B. have begun
C. began D. had begun
7. It is hard for me to imagine what I would be doing today if I ____ in love, at the age of seven, with the Melinda Cox Library in my hometown.
A. wouldn’t have fallen B. had not fallen
C. should fall D. were to fall
8. He hesitated for a moment before kicking the ball, otherwise he ____ a goal.
A. had scored B. scored
C. would score D. would have scored
9. If only he _______ quietly as the doctor instructed, he would not suffer so much now.
A. lies B. lay
C. had lain D. should lie
10. Without the air to hold some of the sun’s heat, the earth at night ____ for us to live.
A. would be freezing cold B. will be freezing coldly
C. would be frozen cold D. can freeze coldly
11. Yesterday, Jane walked away from the discussion. Otherwise, she ____ something she would regret later.
A. had said B. said
C. might say D. might have said
12. You didn’t let me drive. If we ____ in turn, you ____ so tired.
A. drove; didn’t get B. drove; wouldn’t get
C. were driving; wouldn’t get D. had driven; wouldn’t have got
13. When a pencil is partly in a glass of water, it looks as if it ______.
A. breaks B. has broken
C. were broken D. had been broken
14. But for the help you gave me, I _______ the examinations.
A. would have passed B. would pass
C. wouldn’t have passed D. wouldn’t pass