在朱克曼家的谷仓里，快乐地生活着一群动物，其中小猪威尔伯和蜘蛛夏洛建立了最真挚的友谊。然而，一个最丑恶的消息打破了谷仓的平静：威尔伯未来的命运竞 是成为熏肉火腿。作为一只小猪，悲痛绝望的威尔伯似乎只能接受任人宰割的命运了，然而，看似渺小的夏洛却说：“我救你。”于是，夏洛用自己的丝在猪栏上织 出了被人类视为奇迹的网上文字，彻底逆转了威尔伯的命运，终于让它在集市的大赛中赢得特别奖，和一个安享天命的未来。但，这时，蜘蛛夏洛的生命却走到了尽 头……
E.B.怀特(1899-1985)生于纽约蒙特弗农，毕业于康奈尔大学。也许你对美国作家E.B. 怀特（E.B.White）感到陌生，也许你对《Charlotte's Web》（《夏洛的网》）不是很熟悉，但是一提起一部电影《精灵鼠小弟》，你马上就知道了，这部电影就是根据E.B. 怀特（E.B.White）的书改编拍摄的。他还有一部童话叫《吹小号的天鹅》
Chapter 12. A Meeting
Then the oldest sheep spoke up. “I agree that there should be something new written in the web if Wilbur’s life is to be saved. And if Charlotte needs help in finding words, I think she can get it from our friend Templeton. The rat visits the dump regularly and has access to old magazines. He can tear out bits of advertisements and bring them up here to the barn cellar, so that Charlotte can have something to copy.”
“Good idea,” said Charlotte. “But I’m not sure Templeton will be willing to help. You know how he is – always looking out for himself, never thinking of the other fellow.”
No.1 - “I shall begin by calling the roll. Wilbur?”
1. to telephone someone
2. to use a word or name to describe someone or something in a particular way
3. to have a particular name or title, or use a particular name or title for someone or something
4. to arrange for something to happen at a particular time
5. to say or shout something loudly so that someone can hear you
6. to tell someone that they must come to a law court or official committee
7. call round British English to stop at a house or other place for a short time to see someone or do something
1. She calls her father every couple of days.
2. You may call it harmless fun, but I call it pornography.
3. The arrow that appears on the screen is called a cursor.
4. What are you going to call the new puppy?
5. Peter called the waitress over and ordered a large brandy.
6. According to the law, the election must be called within the next two months.
7. I heard someone calling in the distance.
8. How could Julian call himself a friend and then let me down so badly?
10. She called round for a chat.
11. I regularly called in at his office for news.
1. call at 打给某人，访问，停靠
2. call box 公共电话亭
3. call down 气球，引起，招惹，责骂，斥责
4. call for 呼吁，需要，接某人，取某物
5. call in 来访，打电话来（工作单位）
6. call it a day 今天就到此为止
7. call loan 通知放款
8. call off —sb 把某人叫走/ —sth 把某事停止
No.2 - I dare say my trick will work and Wilbur's life can be saved.
1. to be brave enough to do something that is risky or that you are afraid to do - used especially in questions or negative sentences
2. to show that you are very angry and shocked about what someone has done or said
3. to warn someone not to do something because it makes you angry
4. to try to persuade someone to do something dangerous or embarrassing as a way of proving that they are brave
5. used when saying something that you think people may not accept or believe
6. used when saying or agreeing that something may be true
1.He wanted to ask her, but he didn't dare.
2.How dare you accuse me of lying!
3.Don't you dare talk to me like that!
4.They dared Ed to steal a bottle of his father's whiskey.
5.I thought the play was, dare I say it, boring.
6.I dare say things will improve.