在朱克曼家的谷仓里，快乐地生活着一群动物，其中小猪威尔伯和蜘蛛夏洛建立了最真挚的友谊。然而，一个最丑恶的消息打破了谷仓的平静：威尔伯未来的命运竞 是成为熏肉火腿。作为一只小猪，悲痛绝望的威尔伯似乎只能接受任人宰割的命运了，然而，看似渺小的夏洛却说：“我救你。”于是，夏洛用自己的丝在猪栏上织 出了被人类视为奇迹的网上文字，彻底逆转了威尔伯的命运，终于让它在集市的大赛中赢得特别奖，和一个安享天命的未来。但，这时，蜘蛛夏洛的生命却走到了尽 头……
E.B.怀特(1899-1985)生于纽约蒙特弗农，毕业于康奈尔大学。也许你对美国作家E.B. 怀特（E.B.White）感到陌生，也许你对《Charlotte's Web》（《夏洛的网》）不是很熟悉，但是一提起一部电影《精灵鼠小弟》，你马上就知道了，这部电影就是根据E.B. 怀特（E.B.White）的书改编拍摄的。他还有一部童话叫《吹小号的天鹅》
Chapter 10. An Explosion
It was arranged so that you could swing without being pushed. You climbed a ladder to the hayloft. Then, holding the rope, you stood at the edge and looked down, and were scared and dizzy. Then you straddled the knot, so that it acted as a seat. Then you got up all your nerve, took a deep breath, and jumped. For a second you seemed to be falling to the barn floor far below, but then suddenly the rope would begin to cathch you, and you would sail through the barn door going a mile a minute, with the wind whistling in your eyes and ears and hair. Then you would zoom upward into the sky, and look up at the clouds, and the rope would twist and you would twist and ture with the rope. Then you would drop down, down, down out of the sky and come sailing back into the barn almost into the hayloft, then sail out again (not quite so far this time), then in again (not quite so high), then out again, then in again, then out, then in; and then you’d jump off and fall down and let somebody else try it.
No.1 - "That's a mercy,"replied Wilbur, and he lay down in the shade of his fence and went fast asleep. The spider, however, stayed wide awake, gazing affectionately at hime and making plans for his future.
1. if someone shows mercy, they choose to forgive or to be kind to someone who they have the power to hurt or punish
2. unable to do anything to protect yourself from someone or something:
3. a journey taken to bring help to people
4. to let someone be dealt with by another person, who may treat them very badly or strictly - used humorously
5. to ask someone to help you or forgive you when you are in a very bad situation
6. used to say that it is lucky that a worse situation was avoided
1. He showed no mercy to his enemies.
2. After the boat's motor failed, they were at the mercy of the weather.
3. It's a mercy the accident happened so near the hospital.
1. at the mercy of somebody/something
这个词组通常表示听任什么的摆布，无能为力。这里我们要注意到，很多抽象性名词都有这种用法：at /in + the + n. + of
如： at the expense of / in the mood of 等
2. mercy flight/mission 救援航班/救援团
3. The barge of mercy ferries all the miserable people to the world of bliss.—salvation through charity to others.
No.2 - "Come on, frog!" cried Avery. He scooped up his frog.
1. to pick something up or remove it using a scoop or a spoon, or your curved hand
2. to be the first newspaper to print an important news report:
3. to win a prize or award
1. She bent down and scooped up the little dog.
2. Time and again we have scooped our rivals.
3. Britain scooped the top prize in the over 50s category.
scoop up 用铲子铲起；hoe 锄地；needle 做针线；bat 用拍子拍打
No.3 - "Good night!" screamed Avery. "Good night! What a stink!"
1. to have a strong and very unpleasant smell
2. used to say that something is bad, unfair, dishonest etc
1. The toilets stank to high heaven.
2. Don't eat there - the food stinks!
每次想到不好的事，很多同学都第一反应就是complain。这个词固然没有错，但是用得太多，是不是也让人略微感到厌烦了呢？Complain about the word "complain"? 其实英语中也有很多，其他的词，虽然并不是抱怨的意思，但是本身带有的厌恶的情感色彩或许比complain更有张力哦。Stink就是这样一个词，原意是发出恶臭的气味。延伸开来，不就是让人反感讨厌的意思了么。