John sent for a doctor because his wife was ill. He called the doctor and made sure they ___1___ meet at five. He arrived at the doctor’s at twenty ___2___ five. He thought, “ It’s a little bit earlier. I’ll wait for a moment. It’s good ___3___ there on time.”
___4___ he stopped his car in front of the doctor’s. He ___5___ and saw a noisy square not far from here. He went there and sat down on a chair to enjoy the last light of afternoon sun and ___6___ himself quiet. He saw some children playing and some women talking to each other happily.
Suddenly he ___7___ a girl crying. He came up to her and asked some questions. Then he knew she got lost. John tried to find out her ___8___ and took her home. The girl’s parents were very thankful.
Then John hurried to the doctor’s. When the doctor saw him, he was very ___9___ and said, “You’re late. Why did you keep me waiting for twenty minutes?” John said ___10___ except one word—sorry.
1. A. should B. shall C. would D. will
2. A. past B. to C. of D. after
3. A. to arrived at B. to get C. to leave D. to ride
4. A. Every time B. From now on C. Before D. Then
5. A. looked for B. looked after C. looked at D. looked around
6. A. made B. let C. had D. felt
7. A. hears B. was hearing C. heard D. would hear
8. A. name B. school C. age D. address
9. A. polite B. angry C. happy D. kind
10 A. something B. everything C. anything D. nothing