16. —Didn’t the guard see him breaking into the bank?
—No, he _______ in the other direction.
A. was looking B. had looked
C. looked D. is looking
17. How can you possibly miss the news? It _______ on TV all day long.
A. has been B. had been
C. was D. will be
18. “I thought you might have got drunk.” “Yes, I ______.”
A. almost have B. almost had
C. almost did D. might have
19. You ______ television. Why not do something more active?
A. always watch B. are always watching
C. have always watched D. have always been watching
20. “I took part in the TOEFL. It was really hard.” “Did you ______ a lot?”
A. Have you studied B. Did you study
C. Had you studied D. Do you study
21. “What’s your opinion on the matter, please?” “Oh, sorry, I _______.”
A. wasn’t to listen B. haven’t listened
C. wasn’t listening D. hadn’t listened
22. “Aha, you’re a chain smoker!” “Only at home. Nobody _______ that but you.”
A. discovered B. had discovered
C. discovers D. is discovering
23. The telephone _______ three times in the last hour, and each time it ________ for my father.
A. had rang; was B. has rung; was
C. rang; has been D. has been ringing; is
24. The thief tried to break away from the policeman who ______ him, but failed.
A. has held B. had held
C. was holding D. would hold
25. When I arrived at the company, the manager ______, so we had only time for a few words.
A. just went away B. had gone away
C. was just going away D. has just gone away
26. “John took a photograph of you just now.” “Oh, really? I ______.”
A. didn’t know B. wasn’t knowing
C. don’t know D. haven’t known
27. “Mike is not coming to the football game this afternoon.” “It’s a shame! He _______!”
A. promises B. promised
C. will promise D. had promised
28. Please call again. Jim _______ a bath just now.
A. has had B. was having
C. is having D. has
29. “Was Andrew there when you arrived?” “Yes, but he ______ home soon afterwards.”
A. had gone B. has gone
C. is going D. went
30. “Where is Mother.” “She is in the kitchen. She _______ the housework all morning.”
A. is doing B. was doing
C. has done D. has been doing
31. The books, ________ the dictionaries, must be put back where they ________.
A. included; were B. to include; are
C. including; were D. including; are
31. 选 C。第一空including不填 included，因为其后带有宾语;第二填 were，是因为它是指“原来放的地方”。