1. Look at that little boy wandering about — perhaps he _____ his mother.
A. will lose B. is losing
C. had lost D. has lost
2. It’s good that we _____ to the park because it’s started to rain.
A. don’t go B. hadn’t gone
C. didn’t go D. wasn’t going
3. I _____ for five minutes; why don’t they come?
A. am calling B. called
C. was calling D. have been calling
4. You _____ your turn so you’ll have to wait.
A. will miss B. have missed
C. are missing D. had missed
5. We _____ to move but are still considering where to go to.
A. are deciding B. decided
C. have decided D. had decided
6. I left my pen on the desk and now it’s gone; who _____ it?
A. took B. has taken
C. will take D. had taken
7. They won’t buy any new clothes because they _____ money to buy a new car.
A. save B. were saving
C. have saved D. are saving
8. I _____ your last point — could you say it again?
A. didn’t quite catch B. don’t quite catch
C. hadn’t quite catch D. can’t quite catch
9. You’ll never guess who I met today — my old teacher! We _____ for 20 years.
A. don’t meet B. haven’t met
C. hadn’t met D. couldn’t meet
10. I feel sure I _____ her before somewhere.
A. was to meet B. have met
C. had met D. would meet
11. They haven’t arrived yet but we _____ them at any moment.
A. are expected B. have expected
C. are expecting D. will expect
12. I think you must be mistaken about seeing him at the theatre; I’m sure he _____ abroad all week.
A. is B. was
C. has been D. had been
13. The students _______ busily when Miss Brown went to get a book she _______ in the office.
A. had written, left B. were writing, has left
C. had written, had left D. were writing, had left
14. I tried to phone her, but even as I _____ she was leaving the building.
A. phoned B. would phone
C. had phoned D. was phoning
15. “I suppose you _____ that report yet?” “I finished it yesterday, as a matter of fact.”
A. didn’t finish B. haven’t finished
C. hadn’t finished D. wasn’t finishing