01. — When was _________?
—_________ was in 2000 when he was still in college.
A. that; This B. this; It C. it; This D. that; It
02. It was his nervousness in the interview _________ probably lost him the job.
A. which B. since C. that D. what
03. It was what he meant rather than what he said _________ annoyed me.
A. which B. as C. what D. that
04. “How was _________ they discovered the entrance to the underground palace?” “Totally by chance.”
A. it that B. he that C. it when D. he which
05. Who was it _________ saved the drowning girl?
A. since B. as C. that D. he
06. It was when she was about to go to bed _________ the telephone rang.
A. since B. as C. that D. then
07. It was more than a year now _________ he had seen her.
A. that B. since C. when D. which
08. “Was it here _________ you were away talking to a friend?” “Sure. But when I got back there, it was gone.”
A. that B. while C. which D. where
09. When was _________ that the general manager left for Japan?
A. he B. it C. that D. since
10. It was just in the room _________ he was born _________ he died.
A. where, which B. that, that C. where, that D. which, that
11. It was lack of money, not of effort, _________ defeated their plan.
A. which B. as C. that D. what
12. It was _________ back home after the experiments.
A. not until midnight did he go B. until midnight that he didn’t go
C. not until midnight that he went D. until midnight when he didn’t go
13. It is the protection for the trees _________ really matters, rather than how many trees are planted.
A. what B. that C. which D. we
14. It was _________ he said _________ disappointed me.
A. what; that B. that; that C. what; what D. that; what
15. It was for this reason _________ her uncle moved out of New York and settled down in a small village.
A. which B. why C. that D. how